One of my favorite instances of synchronicity was when my sister and I landed the house that we currently live in. I was originally living in a really cheaply made apartment whose rent was steadily increasing. It got to the point where I was paying almost $900 a month for a pretty run down apartment. But it was a good location. And my sister, who had recently moved to Baton Rouge, had her own cheaply made apartment for a little while. But we quickly realized that we could pool our resources and find a much better place for cheaper. We started looking online for different rental opportunities, mostly houses, and we had our own sets of "must haves". I really wanted hardwood floors because not only are most carpets kind of ugly, but my cats have this really terrible habit of ripping at them and in some rare cases also decide to pee on them. I also very much needed a washer and dryer to be included. For my job I always have to have a clean uniform and so I do laundry constantly. My sisters wants were her own bathroom and a roomy kitchen. We looked at maybe 2 or 3 houses at first and they were okay. They would usually have about 75% of what we wanted, but there was always one thing or another that we just weren't into. We were a bit disheartened but we decided we weren't going to settle and to continue looking. And the very next house we looked at turned out to be perfect. I felt immediately comfortable when we drove up and I saw that the front door was teal. I don't know why but I thought, "This is it." We went inside and it was absolutely beautiful. The floors weren't hardwood (they were laminate) but they looked just as good as the real thing. The owners had taken really good care of it and all of the appliances were brand new. They'd also just redone the kitchen and built a deck outside. We could each have our own bathroom and they'd recently built a shower into the master bath. But it didn't have a washer and dryer. I was so disappointed because this place seemed to be exactly what we wanted. The owners asked what we thought and I mentioned the washer and dryer. Well as it turns out, he is a realtor who also dabbles at flipping houses and he has access to a washer and dryer that he was willing to deliver and install for us free of charge. My sister and I didn't even need to confer. We immediately asked them where to sign!
What I realize about this instance of "synchronicity" is that it needs to be a combination of faith, positive thinking, and literally asking for what you want. Because of the way my sister and I present ourselves, the owners really wanted to rent to us. For that reason they were willing to work with us on whatever we wanted. If I hadn't asked about the washer and dryer, would we have passed on the perfect house? I realize now that asking for what you want is probably the most powerful thing you can do in your life. Both with prayer and in dealing with people directly. After all, the worst they can say is "no".
No comments:
Post a Comment