Friday, April 17, 2015

Week 11 Post! OMG!!!

So I definitely missed the fact that we had a blog post that was due at the end of Spring Break. Whoops! I checked for prompts the first couple of days of Spring Break but then got totally absorbed in other projects. I apologize for my tardiness, and this may not even count toward my grade because it's so late, but I think this is a very interesting topic so I'll post on it anyway.

Rejuvenating as an artist is so important! Yet, I rarely make time for it myself. I'm constantly telling myself "You need to slow down." "You don't have to say yes to everyone." "You should carve out some time just for you." But inevitably, before I even know it, I've completely jam-packed my day, week, even, month with constant meetings, deadlines, and projects. And it usually isn't until halfway into the mind-numbing process of wading through all this work that I even realize how much I signed up for to begin with. This semester has been an excellent example of me overwhelming myself. And to be honest, thinking back, I don't even know how I could do it any differently. I really don't.

So how do I fix it? How do I rejuvenate myself and get myself back on track and re-energized about my career. I need a vacation away from myself. What I mean is that I need to go somewhere where I can't give in to my usual impulses. The Sundance Film Festival was actually an excellent rejuvenation for me, the way that my trip to Scotland was not. The reason being, on the Scotland trip I was heavily relied upon to keep everyone else's schedule, to keep everyone else on track, to be the responsible one. And I'm a sucker for it. I want to help people and feel needed, so when someone says "Hey Kaley, do you want even more responsibility and work that you may or may not be able to handle right now?" I say "Yes sir, and may I have another!" It's masochistic is what it is. But Sundance, oh beautiful Sundance. Josh was very much against having itinerary. He basically said that we were adults and we can plan our days for ourselves, and we can meet up when we want to, eat when we want to, and go see whatever we want. It was amazing. I was able to fully immerse myself in the culture of Sundance, watch films, listen to filmmakers discuss their process, and wander around the city. I didn't have my usual responsibilities, nobody was looking at me to have all the answers, and it was nice. Like, really nice. So when I got back from Sundance and was dropped back into the Spring semester, I landed with a thud. I've spent this entire semester mourning the end of that week of Sundance.

So then, my plan for my next "Artist's Rejuvenation" will be my trip to Europe for my 30th birthday. I'm not going to bring my laptop, I'm brushing up on French, German, and Spanish, and I'm going to find as many cultural and artistic wonders as I can in my 2-1/2 week trip! My plan is to not give myself responsibility over anyone, not to over schedule myself, and to just let myself wander, let my mind wander, and find my artist's calm again.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment