Around the time I hit Junior High and High School, my metabolism started to slow down. I also wasn't doing dance classes, gymnastics, or any of the other active stuff I did as a kid. What that meant is that I slowly started to put on a little weight. I wouldn't say I was overweight, in fact, my doctor told me (because I asked) that I was perfectly within the normal range for someone my height. And then I started college, and of course the pounds in the form of the "Freshman 15" piled on a bit more. I'd say I was maybe about 20 pounds heavier than I am today. I'm not saying any of this to talk about having a rough time with the kids at school. l was never bullied in school or anything like that. And no one overtly discriminated against me or anything crazy. And for all intents and purposes, I was perfectly normal. Average, you might say. However, my self esteem plummeted around that time because of a variety of external cues. Besides the fact that there were movies and magazines that showed a ridiculous ideal, I was also surrounded with the twig like girls in my schools (including my twin best friends in size 0 jeans. What the hell does size 0 mean anyway!?). I always felt like the funny, fat friend. And it didn't help either that my well-meaning mother would say things like, "Maybe you shouldn't wear form fitting clothing." Or when she asked me if I wanted anything from the store and I'd say "A Dr. Pepper" and she'd say "…Diet?" Oh memories. This was a time that I felt great shame about myself and my appearance. My mom was constantly making "suggestions" about what I should do to improve myself. I love my mom, and I know she means well, but that was extremely hurtful to me. I felt like she didn't love me because I wasn't perfect. The idea that someone "shames" you only because what you do embarrasses them adds another layer onto this memory. She was may have been worried about my health but as I said, I wasn't really overweight and was nowhere near obese, so was she just worried about what others would think? Did she just not want the embarrassment of a daughter who wasn't perfectly trim? Who knows. All I know is that at a certain point I decided to change my diet on my own. I had no interest in losing weight, I just wasn't feeling well. So I cut out all fast food and soft drinks and dropped 15 pounds almost instantly. I started getting positive feedback from those around me and I got really confused. They were all complimenting me on losing weight, and not for being healthy. That's when I decided that people are crazy. And that whatever my weight is, it doesn't matter. Because as long as I feel healthy, that's what is important.
Having said all of that, there is a definite difference between guilt and shame. Shame is much more powerful, damaging, and longterm than guilt. Guilt is temporary while shame is a lifestyle. When experiencing your own guilt you are able to look at yourself as human, fallible, and vulnerable. But shame tells you that you're not a good person and you'll never be worthwhile. And it's never okay to guilt OR shame anyone. I suppose guilt is the lesser of the two evils, but it's still inappropriate. Guilt and shame when used as weapons are at best manipulative and at worst psychologically harmful.
No comments:
Post a Comment